Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Habitat for Humanity - Women Build Week

On Wednesday, May 5, I organized for a few ladies from my office at PointRight to take part in Women Build Week for the Habitat for Humanity of Greater Lowell. I was amazed to see the progress on the Wiggins Family House which I first worked on in February. The master trench that I helped to dig with Lacey and Brooke was now completely cemented with a floor. The upstairs where we had written our messages of love on the skeleton part of the walls was now enclosed with a beautiful kitchen. I was able to also chat with Debra Wiggins who will be moving in with her family in July and see the excitement build in her eyes knowing that this is her home. She is an amazing woman who is giving back to Habitat by helping with her house as well as the new builds that will be starting in the same development. This time around I learned how to use two different types of table saws, measure out wood panels for the hardwood floors in the closet, and also to use a nail gun to put up the baseboards. This was incredbly rewarding, and who knows, maybe someday I'll be taking up the rug and putting down floors in our master bedroom at our house. I know that Debra's son who has cerebral palsy and her daughter who attends school in Bedford will love their new home. The next time I see Debra will be on June 26 as she is handed the keys to her new home at the dedication ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment