Wednesday, June 2, 2010

May Day - Polish Constitution Day

On May 2 I had the honor of being a part of the May Day, Polish Constitution Day! This was such an incredible honor to me as my mother who I represent throughout my year of reign as Mrs. Massachusetts was born in Poland, and this was a beautiful tribute to the country that she came from. I got this honor through a beautiful Breast Cancer Survivor that I met through the Lowell General Hospital TeamWalk for Cancer Care, Beverly Seibert. She is a member of Lowell's Dom Polski and mentioned to the committee that she had met Mrs. Massachusetts whose mother was from Poland. The most wonderful part of this ceremony was that my father and I were asked to raise the Polish Flag on the steps of Lowell's City Hall. My family and I were welcomed into the Dom Polski Club with an Honorary Membership. As I stood on the steps of City Hall and spoke about what being Polish meant to me and how my mother originally came from Poland, I couldn't help to think how proud she must have been that I was bringing recognition to her native Poland in my community, and also introducing my daughter Sierra to our Polish Heritage as well. I thank everyone for the opportunity and for making this a very special moment during my year as Mrs. Massachusetts, and it truly shows that you never know what doors and opportunities may present themselves to you at any given moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment