Monday, June 14, 2010

New England Coalition for Cancer Survivorship

The New England Coalition for Cancer Survivorship had a booth at the Channel 7 Health and Fitness Expo, and I was asked to be a part of it on June 13. This organization focuses on helping cancer patients and their families and care givers to educate, advocate, and empower the patients after going through the fights of their lives. Cancer patients focus on their treatment plans after they are diagnosed as do their families, doctors, and care providers. It is after the treatments end that survivors need support as they move into the next phase of their lives. I saw just how important this is in the stories I heard yesterday and how thankful those that have fought the battle of cancer were to learn that there is an organization already in place to help them through this next chapter of their lives. There was a woman that I met that was a one year breast cancer survivor. I was so touched by her story and how hard she worked along with her family to get her to the point she is today. She shared with me that the Dana Farber Cancer Institute has asked her to be a speaker and I encourage her to do so as she is a role model to the women that face this battle. She was so excited to meet me and to talk to Karen from NECCS to learn that they had similarities in things going on with their bodies now that they are both survivors. There was another older woman that I met who had tears brought to her eyes when she learned what NECCS does for cancer patients. I told both women that they are the face of Survivorship, and although not always easy, they provide the hope, the strength, and the inspiration to those that are just entering the journey of becoming a cancer survivor. They represent the fact that you can survive cancer and live. NECCS is an amazing organization that is built from survivorship, and I am so proud and honored that they have asked me to be a part of their organization. I look forward to the opportunity and to see this organization grow and see the wonderful things they will do for the people that are survivors. To learn more about NECCS, please visit their website at www.neccs.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment